January 8, 2020
Dear Sisters and Brothers,
As we begin the new year and our 2021 terms, the National Councils of Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma wanted to provide you with updated guidance regarding chapter operations and the COVID-19 pandemic. COVID-19 is continuing to affect our lives, our campuses, and our band programs, and we once again ask that all of our chapters follow the advice of public health experts and the guidance given to you at the campus, local, state, and federal levels, just as you have over the last several months. We recognize that it has not been easy to operate a chapter under such conditions, and we truly appreciate all that you have done to continue to live out our missions and ideals during the pandemic. We are continually inspired by each chapter’s ingenuity, resolve, compassion, and positive presence in the face of great trial. You inspire us!
Moving into the 2021 terms, please note that the following updates have been made to our PIVOT! Chapter Operations Guide:
- Some chapters may now be able to host in-person activities/events: Chapters should only host in-person social, service, membership, or fundraising activities/events (with the exception of the Ritual which is still prohibited) during the Spring 2021 Term if the following criteria are in place:
- Your campus activities office, Dean of Students, Office of Greek Life, or other authorizing body is permitting your chapter to host in-person activities/events on your campus.
- Your chapter activity/event has been approved by your Director of Bands in writing
- Your chapter follows all campus, local, state, and federal health and safety guidance.
- Your chapter does not penalize members who feel uncomfortable attending these activities/events.
- The waiver for band participation has been extended until July for active members and membership candidates. However, members must still be enrolled in coursework at their college or university in good standing with their university or college.
- Additional guidance has been added for the Chapter Summary Report.
- Additional information has been provided for 2021 District Events.
The National Councils of both Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma know that each campus has its own unique procedure in place for this pandemic, and it is our hope that the information outlined in PIVOT! is easily adaptable to every chapter’s situation. However, we want to emphasize that we are here to assist your chapter and your chapter members. If, after reading the changes above or the full PIVOT! guide you still have questions or concerns, please reach out to your District Counselors/Governors or send us an email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we continue to navigate through the weeks and months ahead, please know that your National Leadership Teams and your National Headquarters Staff are at your service. Our main goal for the rest of the biennium is to help our chapters be successful in our missions and ideals, even though the ways in which we serve may be different for now. If at any point you or your chapter need assistance with anything at all, please contact us. We promise to work with you as you continue to strive for the highest for greater bands.
Marco, Adrienne, and The National Leadership Teams of Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma